Falafel is a great recipe to have up your sleeve for a quick dinner, lunchbox filler, or a high-protein snack.
Falafel is a high protein-meat alternative. You could make this mixture up in advance and freeze for a quick dinner option.
- 1 can chickpeas (drained and rinsed)
- 3/4 cup frozen peas (defrosted)
- 1/2 medium red onion, chopped finely
- 1 tsp crushed garlic
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley leaves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons self-raising flour
- Canola or vegetable oil spray, for frying & 2 Tbsp. for greasing
- Combine all ingredients (except the oil) in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until the mixture is well-combined, but not puréed. Adjust seasoning as necessary.
- Form the mixture into small patties. Prepare a paper towel-lined baking sheet and set aside.
- Spray pan with oil and heat. Fry the patties in batches, a couple at a time, without crowding the pan. Cook, turning occasionally, until golden-brown, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer to the prepared baking sheet to cool. Repeat with the remaining patties, and then serve immediately with salad and pita bread if desired.
Serve with salad and our yoghurt lemon garlic dressing!
Recipe adapted from www.thekitchn.com